Description Grateful Nomads: Teachaaaaah, Where You Go?

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Teachaaaaah, Where You Go?

Thais don’t talk about the weather like Americans do. Since the weather is so static (hot, hot, rainy, hot), they make small talk by asking where you’re going and sometimes where you’ve been. Whenever I see a student outside of the classroom, it’s usually the first thing they ask. Some of my lower level students holler a simple, “Teachaaah, where???” It’s important to realize this is just friendly small talk because to a Westerner it might seem a little intrusive or personal.

However, that time of year has come. I’ve finished teaching, students are taking exams, and it’s just about time to say goodbye. My students want to know what I’m going to do now. Well, I’ve cooked up quite the adventure for the next six weeks, kiddos, so stay tuned.

Zoom out to see the entire trip or view it in a larger map

This Saturday I’ll be taking my first solo trip. I’ve been very lucky to have Jack with me this entire time to help lighten the anxiety of travel. He’s been such a trouper. See, Jack hates traveling; he’s a homebody. Yet he’s graciously accompanied me on almost every adventure this year. That’s just the sweetheart he is. It’s time, however, for me to spread my wings and put my language and travel skills to the ultimate test. It will be good preparation for when I’m living alone this coming June (more on that later).
 
Riding the Mae Hong Son Loop - Chiang Mai, Thailand
Thank you, Thailand Travel Hound!
My mini adventure will be the northern portion of the Mae Hong Son loop, most commonly completed by motorcycle (600km and 1600+ curves). In the interest of minimizing debilitating motion sickness, I’ll be flying the first leg directly to Mae Hong Son. Jack and I flew over this region before and it was incredible, so I’m really excited. I'll schmooze a few days, then bus north to Soppong for a few more, then Pai, and back to Chiang Mai. All in all, 9 days of fun in the hot northern sun!

I’ll have a quick night at the jungle house before we head off to the north of Isaan. We haven’t been able to explore any of this huge portion of the country yet, so it’s a priority. With no beaches, this area is often overlooked by tourists, but it’s rich in culture and history. Since we’re limited on time, we’ll just be exploring the northern region.

After those 18 (exhausting) days of travel, we head back at Hang Chat to recharge and finish packing. We’ll say our final goodbyes and hop a train to Bangkok. It was cheaper to rent an apartment for a month rather than just the two weeks I’ll need at the end of April, so we went that route. Also, we can leave our huge bags there while we sneak in a couple weeks on the beach.

Jack all but insisted we return to Koh Phangan to visit his favorite place in Thailand before he goes back to the US. I can’t say he really had to twist my arm to get me to go. Jack wanted to stay at Ocean View again, but given my insatiable longing for new experiences, we compromised and are splitting our time between there and Haad Salad Villa.

So I’ve managed to give it away: Jack will be returning to the US in June and I’ll be staying in Bangkok to work. But don’t worry folks, with all the advances in modern technology, we’ll have no problem keeping our relationship alive until we’re together again. It’s just that the girls really need one of us home to cater to their every whim. Until then, we're trying to take full advantage of our time together, as evidenced by this insane trip around the country.

No comments:

Post a Comment