Description Grateful Nomads: Kru Pu Saves the Day!

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Kru Pu Saves the Day!

Three more weeks! Just three weeks until we board the plane for our insane flights to Thailand. We're flying Korean Air from Chicago to Seoul (13.5 hours) and Seoul to Bangkok (5.5 hours) with only an hour layover in between. Jack says that is the adventure for him. Since he's such a nervous flyer, living in Thailand will be the bonus for making it through the journey.

We will be in Bangkok for about two weeks. The first three days we are staying at Sukhumvit On-Nut Guesthouse and exploring town (with our new friends Eric and Todd!) before my orientation starts. We scored an amazing deal of about $20 a night for a private room!
Soon to be us at Sukhumvit On-Nut Guesthouse!
Jack will continue wandering around the city as I attend 7-10 days of training with CIEE. I'm not totally sure what this will entail, but there have been hints of language lessons, culture lessons, what to expect at school, and a field trip or two. Good deal because there are so many sites we want to see in Bangkok, including:

The Grand Palace (photo by Anthony Joh)
Wat Phra Kaew (photo by Edwin Lee)
The Jim Thompson House (photo by phong_ek)
Wat Arun from a cruise along the Chao Praya (photo by Luca Gorlero)
Chatuchak Weekend Market (photo by Michael T)
With so much to see, I just know the two weeks in Bangkok are going to fly by! We will be sure to make at least one more trip down to see everything we missed.

During orientation I will also get to meet my school's principal, Kru (teacher) Pu. I have been emailing Kru Pu for a few weeks now asking her about helping us find housing for Jack. I was supposed to be sharing my apartment with a teacher from China, but it turns out that teacher is not coming. Sooooooo...Kru Pu said Jack can stay with me! I'm not sure what I will charge him in rent  but it will probably only be a load of laundry or an errand run haha! We are very fortunate that things have really worked out for us. Bonus: we'll have plenty of room for visitors! That is, unless Jack opens our apartment as a rescue shelter...

Here are some pictures of our place from CIEE's Thai partner organization OEG if you didn't get a chance to check out the website in my placement post:




Stay tuned for a post from Jack soon!
Kru Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment