Description Grateful Nomads: The Big News!

Saturday, December 3, 2011

The Big News!

Tuesday night was when all the excitement began. I received an email from CIEE (Council on International Educational Exchange) accepting me for a position teaching English in Thailand! I read it three times before I believed what I was reading. I finished the application quite early in the process (they're not even due until mid-February) and wasn't expecting to hear from them for another month or more. Wow, I just about jumped out of my skin with elation.

After I called some friends and family and the initial intensity wore down, it was nearly 10pm. With all the thoughts about what experiences Jack and I might have, where we might end up living, and omg all the things we would have to do before we go; I couldn't get to sleep until about 3:30 that morning.

I am trying to keep calm by reminding myself that this is not a definite; it's really only the first stage. I will not know if I'm actually going until I get hired by a school. I've read that they don't start hiring until March/April! Um, that's only a month or two before we would leave! Well, if this becomes a reality, I don't think I'll really mind the shortish notice.

All we really know about the program at this point is that I would be flying into Bangkok by May 5th, 2012, attending an orientation there for about a week, and going straight to my classroom. We don't yet know where that would be, what age I would be teaching, what either of our living arrangements would be like, among many other things. I say 'either of our living arrangements' because we don't even know if we would be able to live in the same apartment once we get there (my housing is included in my teaching contract). Anyway, enough of what we don't yet know; let's move on to things we have approximations of HA!

Each school in Thailand is different, but generally the semesters run May through September, then November through March. So if you are planning on visiting ☺ I would probably have the most time off in October (which happens to be my birth month, hint hint). Keep in mind: this is the beginning of the Thai winter so temperatures might get down to a frigid 65ºF.

The program estimates that teaching will take up about 40 hours a week of my time, so Jack and I would be able to take fun excursions on the weekends. We are hopeful to get this opportunity and anxious to explore Thailand from more than a tourist's perspective.
Not us...yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment