Description Grateful Nomads: Giftmas

Monday, December 26, 2011

Giftmas

I call it Giftmas because it's not a Christian holiday for either of us or our immediate families. Mostly we just appreciate the time to get together with loved ones.

I love giving and receiving gifts but hate the spending spree our culture perpetuates for an entire month. That's a whole month of retailers telling me that my loved ones deserve nothing but the brand new latest and greatest collector's edition piece of plastic, and if I don't abide, I must not love them. No guilt trips for me, thanks. (Don't even get me started on the music. I never need to hear another Giftmas song EVAR.) Do we really need a month-long holiday? Oops, that sort of examination of necessity is not encouraged; I should just do what merchandisers tell me to keep this country running. Sidetrack.

My point is: this time of year would probably not be any more difficult for me to handle in Thailand. Actually, I'm excited at the possibility of avoiding America's interpretation of this holiday. I'm curious to see if and how it has permeated Thai culture, and maybe just maybe I would miss some things I thought I wouldn't. I'm open to that!

No comments:

Post a Comment