Description Grateful Nomads: Didn't I Tell You?

Thursday, February 16, 2012

Didn't I Tell You?

I started my TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) training this week. I opted to take the certification through CIEE so they set me up with a group called the TEFL Institute Online. It's an intensive 60-day course which puts my completion date about 2 weeks before I leave--yikes! I also have to do 20 hours of practicum work (observing, tutoring, or teaching), but I can start that now--whew! This will be a great certification to have even if I don't get hired in Thailand. There's always Japan, Korea, Chile, or even programs here in Madison...

The great thing about this class is there are others in the CIEE program so we can start cultivating our friendships if we all make it to orientation in Bangkok. Some of them already know their placement which makes me excited because maybe I'll find out any day now! But alas, I have to be patient. It's exciting (and nerve-wracking) to plan this big move when we don't know where we're going yet. The longer it takes, the less time we have to prepare logistically. Despite this, I'm confident it will all work out. Jack, on the other hand, is more worried.

I hate to admit this, but if I don't get placed in a school this trip may not happen in May. There, I said it--I am now one step closer to preparing myself for that possibility. I don't want to be disappointed!

No comments:

Post a Comment